View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Sports Noobs against Pros - spawned from tdarko\'s tennis thread

[ QUOTE ]

Tennis - Win one game in 3 sets

[/ QUOTE ]

No chance. Have you ever seen a 120 mph serve? The noob would have to score 4 points in a game. That's just not happening.

[ QUOTE ]

Baseball - 3 or more fairballs hit (no bunting) in 27 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a random person to the batting cages and have them swing at the 60mph softballs. It's hilarious. No chance a noob hits anything moving 70+ mph with any kind of movement, let alone a 90 mph fastball.

[ QUOTE ]

Basketball - score 2+ baskets in a race to 15 winner takes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more ludicrous than hitting a baseball if that's possible. I'm nowhere close to being a professional and my friends who play ball a couple times a month can't score a point on me. I've actually made multiple $100 bets on this one with people who play basketball and I haven't lost yet. Soooo . . . no chance.

[ QUOTE ]

Table Tennis - score 2 pts in a 21 pt match

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone ever tried to return a good table tennis serve? I knew this guy who was the worst player on his high school team in Singapore. I'm not the greatest ping pong player, but it took me over 10 tries to get his serve to just land on the other side of the table. I can't even imagine what playing a pro would be like.

[ QUOTE ]

Bowling - within 200 pts in a 3 game match.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has a chance of happening. If the pro plays really poorly he'll probably get around 700 or so. I guess 500 is doable if you go on a run.

[ QUOTE ]

Boxing - last 5 rounds

[/ QUOTE ]

I would pay to see this one.

[ QUOTE ]

Golf - win 2 holes out of 18, for a total noob even one would be too much I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one might be the hardest of all. Hitting a golf ball cleanly is hard enough for all those rich folk who pay thousands for lessons. Someone picking up a club for the first time has no shot.

Oh and to everyone who thinks scoring on a penalty kick in soccer is that easy, think again. Kicking a soccer ball into the corner of a goal isn't as easy as it looks. And you'd have to get some pace on the ball. I'd say making 1 in 10 might be doable, but that's about as close as you're gonna get.

I honestly can't think of a single sport that would be possible. Pros have spent their entire lives perfecting what they do. It's crazy how good you can get at something. Just imagine if you were playing a heads up NL hold em match against someone who's never played poker before . . . only there are no suckouts.