Thread: Evolution #9
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Evolution #9

Ok, so if we evolve sometimes because of an anomaly sometimes and then we adapt to it:

Perhaps emotion is an anomaly and we should* be adapting this for /to our advantage or for an reason.
We certainly don’t need it now to survive.

One of my interests here is that, are we studying evolution enough “outside the box”. Are we looking forward enough with it or just looking back?

Another way to look at it. For believers, religion has a reason. E.g., “Love thy neighbor…” has a follow through on why.

Maybe if “love thy neighbor” thing has no real purpose - that is, if there is no God, similar concepts might have another purpose. Should we be using these sort of emotions to maintain the survival of our species? I ask again, rhetorically, if not, then why do we have emotions ?

Can religious concepts (or any type of thinking or emotions) be translated (adapted) into and used for scientific purposes relative to our evolution?

Or are we saying that there a lot of things that we have evolved into that have no and will have no purpose?

* I don’t mean to use the word “should” literally. I understand that evolution doesn’t work that way. But, theoretically, we can certainly direct our own evolution if we started all kinds of mass genetic controls.
Perhaps there are reasons we have intellect and emotions and we have yet to discover the why.