View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Hurricane Katrina: Where to Donate

Consider the Baton Rouge Area Foundation (braf.org). This is a long-established local charity with low overhead. The money it collects will go directly to displaced persons or to the rebuilding of New Orleans.

I myself evacuated to Baton Rouge and arrived in Las Vegas late Tuesday night. Vegas will now be my permanent home. I attempted today to get help from FEMA and the Red Cross--I was #232, and about 3-4 people were being helped an hour. Amiable Red Cross volunteers wandering aimlessly about offering exactly nothing but sympathy. Today was the first day FEMA even showed up. All of the time I spent in Baton Rouge with many other evacuees in a Motel 6, I saw nothing from the Red Cross or FEMA. The local churches did step up to set up foodlines in the parking lots of the various motels. This was a big help to the families who really cannot afford to stay indefinitely in motels.

I wouldn't give a penny to the Red Cross. After 9/11 I donated to Rusty Staub's foundation which gives a subsidy annually to the family of every NY cop and firefighter killed in the line of duty. The foundation has no paid staff, and the only expenses are office supplies. Consider some of the smaller charities operating directly in the affected areas.

Or you could donate to me (just kidding....)

LOL