View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: On seat selection and table-dependent adjustments.

[ QUOTE ]

Seat selection is one of the areas where I see a lot of 2+2ers who could otherwise be very successful lacking. When you’re playing full ring and you’ve got a 21/12 player on your right, I hope you’re prepared to start folding. A lot. Because unless you’re willing to 3-bet light in smaller pots – and you should occasionally be – you’re going to be getting your Button stolen all the time, and won’t be playing nearly as many hands as you’d like. There are ways to adjust against this sort of player, but in general, if he plays decently postflop, you’re going to be putting yourself at a lot of risk at a table that generally isn’t worthwhile. It’s going to take a very good table for me to want to sit on the left of a good aggressive player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something about the specifics of this scenario bothers me. If you were both playing in a vaccum, this would have the results that you say. But I would say this seating arrangement is less desireable for the good aggressive player on your right, than it is for you. He is faced with the prospect of playing hands OOP against an aggressive, har to read player. Also many of the hands, you will be forced to dump, are going to be of the marginal tricky to play variety. So I think at a otherwise decent table, you are probably still better off than you are at most other tables.

Unless he plays markedly better than you post-flop, he is taking the worst of it. In my experience, it does not take many light 3-bets or marginal calldowns, to make the good aggressive player switch gears...or to keep him inline so to speak. Also if he fails to adjust to you, chances are he will be the one doing the bleeding.

I agree at an otherwise marginal table, this is not worth the effort. But I also don't really think the game needs to be "very good" to make the situation more profitable than the average table.