View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Working on agression/protection

As usually happens, when I re-read SSHE I go on a bad run. Most of my current run is just bad luck coupled with bad cards, but some of it is certainly my attempts at putting Ed's more aggressive style of play into my game. Here are a few hands from today's session that I felt I misplayed.

First, the PP tables are extremely tight of late but I'm still seeing a lot of really poor hands played (seems people call with anything from the blinds even when they are working of bonuses). But, it's been 4 or fewer to the flop most of the time today.

Ok, on to the hands.

Hand 1: Premium pair on scary board. MP2 seems to be a decent player. Tight, but they all are.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

This is an auto-bet for me (should it be?). The FD and possible nut straight draws are a concern but I almost never check after raising a premium pair.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Not being raised on the flop I figured I'm good and bet out. Don't want MP2 getting a free card on a gutshot. At the time, the raise didn't scream 'Straight' to me...should it have? At this point I'm calling to showdown.

River: (8.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Hand 2: I've played with UTG before and he seems to be a bit LAG'y.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

free play in the blinds give me TPNK. Villian is a lag so I don't respect his bet at all. My raise here
is for value and is a place where I wonder if I've taken SSHE's advice too far.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Not giving up here.

River: (5.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

I check the river because my made hand is weak and I figure I'll only get called/raised by a hand that beats me...cheapest showdown.

Hand 3: And finally, a hand where lack of pre-flop aggression may have cost me a pot

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

I'm first to enter this pot. At the time I thought of raising but chickened out. I think a raise here is the right thing...comments?

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Ok, got my set but why didn't I re-raise? I suppose I was thinking of waiting for the turn as this was not a very coordinated flop. Was this as bad as I think it is now?

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Ok, now it's time to get some chips in the pot.

River: (12.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

I lost all three of these hands. I'll post the results after comments.