View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Weezer and Green Day are the defining bands of my generation...

I feel like addressing a few bands brought up:

Oasis - Their era and catalogue certainly qualify them for consideration. I just kinda thought that all of their albums suck. Bonus points given though for the VH1 behind the music featuring the band though; mostly the entire thing was subtitled as I recall.

Metallica - Their exclusion is twofold. The first reason is that this band's best studio material belongs to another generation: I'm including everything up to the black album. I think the other factor is that this generation as a whole will not look favorably on this band. The Napster issue, as well as Some Kind of Monster, is really going to taint this band.

RATM - Perhaps worthy of inclusion, but I think they're a little to heavy for mainstream. Also, NIN is probably a better choice from a similar genre.

Pearl Jam/Nirvana - I don't think these bands fall so much under my generation. Versus was 1993, as was In Utero, and this is my minimum cutoff.

All rappers mentioned - These individuals are not bands.

A quick note to Mr. Durden: Using the 2005 Grammy results to support a music arguement is counterproductive. Do you see why?