View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: 2 straight draws for your viewing pleasure...

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: None of my opponents are aggressive.

I have 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG+1
I open limp, next guy calls, a couple of folds and the CO also calls, SB folds, BB checks.

4 to the flop for 2.25 BB:

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, I bet, both limpers call, BB folds.

3 players to the turn for 3.75 BB:

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, next guy bets, CO RAISES, my action

I'm getting a little over 3:1 on this call, I'm not closing the action, I'm drawing to the nuts in 1 direction (7). What's the play?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way to look at these situations is from a "what can I win" perspective. If you can expect the payoff to be 12BB by the end of this hand (it is currently at 7.75BB at this snapshot in time), its worth the 6:1 draw on the turn when it's capped (6BB if everyone now calls the turn where the betting is at). This means if the turn is capped, you need to have both guys to throw a bet at the river or get a double bet out of one of them to reach 12BB. I don't like having to count on a double bet on the river to get my odds for improving, especially if these guys aren't aggressive.

Now if you are closing the action on the turn it's another matter and you only need one guy to call you to make it a breakeven play. Good example on the importance of closing the action on drawing hands.

KT is a hand that dominates your made straight by a bigger straight. However, for KT to go this far in the hand is not likely. You are getting full value for your straight should the Q come.

I don't normally like this position unless you are closing the action or if you can really count on a ton of bets in on the river. HOWEVER, you also have a very disguised straight and it could get a lot of action on the river against a second best hand. It's definately worth considering if these guys will continue their aggression on later rounds. If you do continue and make it, I would strongly consider check-raising the river.