Thread: AA
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Re: AA

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which Secondly, I think, looking at this decision from a post flop perspective is counter productive. All players tend to go too far with AA and IMHO the raise mentality has a big part to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reasoning is horrible. If raising preflop causes you to make mistakes postflop, then work on your postflop play. Don't try to "fix" your postflop mistakes by playing weakly preflop, that's adding a leak to fix a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]
On the contrary, I think my post flop play is better because I understand these concepts. And I think you may have got me slightly confused.
I whole heartedly advocate raising preflop with AA (just not straight away).
My point is - I think the disadvantages of letting more players in, is outwayed by the possibility of getting more players for three bets +. Think of it as a trap rather than weak play.
From what's been said so far.
Cons to calling:
1. Slightly harder to read hands after the flop.
2. You've shown no PF strength.
3. You give weaker hands a cheaper way to see the flop and draw out on you or drop.

IMHO.
1. You're OOP anyway. Hand reading is going to be difficult.
2. Only if noone raises.
3. Isn't that exactly what we want before the flop ie. weaker hands calling - isn't that automatic +ev. (Lower win rate exchanged for higher equity)

Pros to raising.
1. Reduce the field.
IMO.
Someone else in EP or MP might do this for you and you make it 3 bets.
If a raise comes in late position and you make it three bets, you may still reduce the field.
At this stage, anybody who shouldn't have called, is more likely to stay in - good for you. And anybody who should be there, probably would have called your raise anyway.

Once again, I stress the fact that AA has a larger equity edge against more players.
In NL, I totally understand the raise. Because at any one time, your entire stack is on the line. I'm talking long term, specific to EP in limit.
I hope someone can produce some solid figures to tell me why the trap isn't the better option. eg. %pots raised with UTG limpers.
There's got to be something out there.