View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: punishment for cashing out?

I don't know if this is a serious post or not....but I obviously addressed it as a serious one.

The people I met on the PPM cruise were uniformally talking about 'unrealistic flops and cards' and 'cash-out curses' ALL the freaking time and were dead serious about it.
Others just don't understand bankroll requirements...and I met enough blackjack and roulette players when I was briefly a dealer who seriously thought a -EV game could be beaten if you just left at the right time....like NEVER playing beyond the point when you are either up $100 or down $50...that way you will supposedly, on average, finish up $50 for all your sessions so the logic goes...and other stuff about leaving when the 'dealer is hot' is generally accepte as correct as well.

The variety of people that I have met in blackjack/roulette dealing and on the PPM cruise leave me in a position where it would not surprise me in the least if all these questions and assumptions were completely legitimate from someone who was just new to poker or gambling and has heard some really bad advice from really bad players.

The good news is...with an open-mind to the possibilities (such as 'the reason you are losing isn't because of the cash-out curse...but because you are just not a good player yet')...virtually anyone can learn why these frightningly commonly accepted ideas are completely wrong.