View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: telephoto lens for rebel xt

[ QUOTE ]
How much should I be looking to spend on a telephoto lens for the Canon Rebel XT? I know it can take 50 different EF lenses, but which has the best quality/price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you've decided what you want to photograph (birds? sporting events? portraits? . . .), you'll be a lot closer to answering this question. Then budget kicks in, as well as other factors such as size, etc. At a fairly low price point, Sigma's 70-300mm DG APO is supposed to be quite good yet still small and light, and much less expensive than faster lenses. I'm in the Nikon camp, but from what I read while deciding, the Canon 70-200mm F4L seemed to be a (relatively) low cost way to get Canon's L series of pro glass. Sigma's 70-200mm f2.8 is quite well regarded if you want an even faster lens - almost bought that one myself.

The Sigma 70-200mm will run somewhere around $700-750, the Canon around $600, and the Sigma 70-300mm can be found for $200. There are much more expensive options as well if you're looking for longer reach in a fast lens, or optical stabilization.

A shorter zoom might work for you, but again it all depends on what you're trying to shoot.