View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Another Question For Not ready

I want to give one example from Scripture just by way of illustration. I'm not saying the following applies exactly the same to predestination of the saved and lost, but simply as food for thought.

Acts 2:23
this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.
John 10
17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

The first passage states that the crucifixion is predestined. The second passage is in the words of Christ and he states that no one takes His life from Him, but that He does it of His own accord. Anyone familiar with His struggle in the Garden knows that His decision was not an easy one.

Notice that Jesus goes to the cross voluntarily. The ones who put Him there He could have easily defeated. He could have even avoided going to Jerusalem. God does not force Him to go or to submit to the soldiers. Yet that He would do so was fixed in eternity by God's counsel. Also note that in the Garden He said "Let this cup pass from Me. Yet not My will, but Thine be done." He was unwilling and willing at the same time. Also notice that the men who put Him to death are not excused by the fact that their actions were predetermined. Nor is there any indication they were forced.

I give this as an example of predestination and foreknowledge from the Bible. There are other examples which are similar. The teaching I get from this is that God plans and controls everything but sin and unbelief are not by this excused. I think that this much is plain. How this is possible is difficult and obscure. God tells us what we need to know, which as I've said a few times before, God is sovereign and man is responsible.