View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: How much do you stick to the preflop guide?

The guidelines are just that, guidelines. They form a base framework of what sort of hands you can raise given a generally lose or generally tight table. The hand chart is good for beginners who may not fully understand the strengths and weaknesses of various hands. For instance, when I was just starting, I thought KJo was a great hand. I didn't understand that in EP it's bad because someone could have me dominated when I'm OOP.

But you definitely want to get away from it when you can. Take the above example I gave. If an UTG LAG raises and you're UTG+1 with KJo, you could 3-bet to isolate the LAG with what just may be a much better hand than he holds. Clearly the hand chart states that KJo is not worth playing in EP, let alone 3-betting.

So, in closing, the hand charts are good for accustomizing a beginner. But once a person learns and fully understands the why's behind those raises, they can look to expand their raising standards given different situations that are not laid out so clearly for them.