View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Is Bush conservative?

[ QUOTE ]
What you just talked about has nothing to do with politics, thats just policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...you're claiming the President is (politically) a fiscal conservative; but when it comes to policy, he's not? I can't even make sense of that. Is the implication that policy and politics are mutually exclusive? Is not politicking (that is, the practice of trying to secure power, or perhaps even less broadly, in the case of the President of the United State, the art of governing) an exercise with the obvious end of trying to steer policy?

As I said...if your claim is that President Bush needs to appease Republican congressmen (and pass their bloated budget bills) in order to build political capital, what does he intend to use this political capital for?

If he's trying to acquire political capital by sacrificing of fiscal restraint, I think we can say that he's not a very committed fiscal conservative, and I'd be hesitant to call him a fiscal conservative at all; as cutting federal spending, and limiting the size and scope of federal government ought to be an imperative for fiscal conservatives that cannot be negotiated away.