View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Hand buddy said he \"played perfect\", I think it was all wrong

I think he played it pretty well.

On the flop, I think he should try to get others to fold here with his vulnerable hand, and the check-raise strategy looked like a good way to accomplish it. My plan would have been, in this good-sized pot, to check and hope it checks through to the button who would bet, then I would check-raise, forcing others to call two bets and likely fold. As it worked out, UTG foiled that by betting, making others call a single bet twice, thus it was less likely those in between would fold.

You raise a good point on the river. I like your reasoning, and follow it often. However, I think a bet is also a reasonable play (arguably not "perfect") because UTG might have a pair lower than TT that he would call a bet with, but check if checked through (or maybe even raise with -- isn't hindsight great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

POST-GRUNCH: I'm surprised some are in favor of a bet/fold here. Pot odds are 11.25-to-1 at the time he is making the call or fold decision on the river. Doesn't BB have the best hand more than 1 in 11.25 times here? I would think UTG has a pair lower than TT enough here to warrant a call by BB (his pre-flop call and flop bet indicate possible 88 to me). As for his river raise, I agree there's a good chance UTG is best, but, again, I think UTG raises here enough with a lower pair to make a call correct by BB.