View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Quitting Your Job Articles

Mason, you make some great points. There are other factors to consider in these situations.

Personally, I believe life is way too short to spend it working 70 hours a week. At my current job, I had the opportunity to make more money and hold a management position. But I've been there before, and it can be an extremely miserable lifestyle.

I opted to remain one of the grunts, but through careful management of my monthly expenses (i.e. not purchasing all kinds of goodies on credit, cooking food at home instead of eating out all the time) I'm able to work 32 hours per week by choice (instead of 40-48) and live well.

Can I afford to purchase a home at this point in my life? Unfortunately, no, I cannot. But I don't have 50K in credit card debt dragging me down, and I DO have a lot more freedom.

I'm going "semi-pro" as a poker player. I have studied and played 7-stud, stud hi/lo, Omaha hi/lo and NL Hold 'Em as the games I enjoy and consider myself well-versed in playing. I don't depend on poker to pay the bills, but I'm giving it a shot to see how well I can do.

While going full pro is always an option, it won't be a possibility until I have 6 months living expenses saved up, and a sizeable bankroll for whichever game(s) and limit(s) I intend to play.

I know a number of people who work 3 jobs and 70-100 hours EVERY week to cover their expenses. They live beyond their means, they cheat themselves out of overtime by working multiple jobs, and they aren't "getting ahead" or happy at all.

I have Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday off on a regular basis, and it makes life a hell of a lot more enjoyable (and it makes playing poker much more accessible)