View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Citizenship Abroad to Avoid Paying Taxes...

[ QUOTE ]

again, answer me this: IF I DONT LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES, WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY TAXES TO THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, until you change citizenship, to avoid the penalties. (The US is weird, too, about what flies in this regards. Make sure you state your reasons for changing citizenship is other than avoiding taxes, or they will still demand them I think.)

The only other real reasons I can think of are:

When a government invests money in its people, it suffers an up front cost before they become productive. That is, one could argue that you are paying them back for the environment they provided you to grow up in. (This is not quite as BS as it sounds. Sure there are other coutries with comprable amenities, or better ones even, but most of the people in the world are born into worse environments.)

And the real reason... to maintain the option of US citizenship. Even though you may not think it is worth anything, a lot of people (non US citizens) do. Maybe they are onto something. At any rate, 5 or 10 years down the road you may decide that you do want it, and it won't be easy to get back if you ditch it now.

AFAIK, most of the place I would want to raise a family have high tax rates. I certainly would want my tax money going to the country I was living in, though. (Immediately, that is. If it is used for foreign aid to ease the hellish conditions in other parts of the world I have no problem with that.)

Whatever you do, my sincere advice is to plan out your life to the best of your ability before acting. Some good starting questions are:
<ul type="square">[*]Do I want to have children?[*]Where do I want to live (raise my family)?[*]What do I want to accomplish in life?[*]What is my plan for financial security? (i.e. Do I want to play poker for my entire life? Is that even viable?)[*]What are the costs, direct and implied, of pursuing a foreign citizenship?[*]What is the timeline for changing citizenship?[/list]
This is a life decision. Think hard about the details before you make it. (I am NOT advocating switching or not switching, just due dilligence before deciding on a course of action.)