View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: That one bad hand...

First off if you knew that this should have been folded then why did you call?

Regardless, I like the inital play. No doubt against two random holdings it is a big favorite. Especailly at this stage everytime you pick-up the blinds it helps. 5x the BB might be over doing it though, you are putting the SB in a fold or all-in spot. If he has been folding out on raises before he is playing conservatively thus far. So what kind of hands is he going to play with? At best Ax, or a PP, both of which have you beat, or worse AK or AQ or better which you are a big dog too.

So the SB wakes up with one of these hands and moves all-in. That sucks, you know he has you beat, at best you are hoping for an underpair and maybe you can draw a card out. So you will take your lumps if you have too, but eventually you can wear him down.

The BB has you covered and is doing pretty well. Now he wakes up and moves all in over the top! At this point you have to step back and ponder. He must have decent hand. Depending on how the play at the table has been (I assume normal to tight) this makes your decision easy. You can assume some of your outs are probably gone (I would count a K or two out). Now the pot is 3-way, which is lowering your odds even more. The key to going to distance is avoiding close % situations. You know you are a dog here, at best you might have a 40% shot, not something you want to let your tourny life ride on. Muck the cards wait for the next hand and hope the SB gets knocked out by the BB moving you ahead and closer to the $$. You can get away here with some chips left to make moves on later rounds....that is what I would do.

It just so happens that you were almost drawing dead here, this was a worst case scenario for you. 2 of the 3 kings and queens were already gone, you were looking for a flush or a straight, which you have no idea if you will even have a chance until the flop hits. Even Ax would have beaten you here...because they would have been all-in they would have the advantage to see all the cards without having to make any decisions, then hit on the river.

My take on KQ: this is a drawing hand....rarley does it win unimproved. It is overplayed all the time and doing that is a losing situation. If you raise with it you will usually only be called by hands that have you beat already or hands that will come over the top of you like what happened here. You should never like being re-raised with this hand. It is good to see a flop with especailly in position, if you raise too much someone might move all-in and you might have to muck it where if you saw the flop you might have won a nice pot or got away from it cheaply! [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]