View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Hand from the Borgata Open Warmup

[ QUOTE ]
well, I don't like the rr. now that the pot's 2200 or so I want to extract what I can and checking looks like the best way since it's WA/WB. probably time to read responses now but betting and getting raised doesn't feel right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

My reraise here preflop is automatic, and I think a must.

Against a LP raise, I'm reraising liberally. Many players HATE to dump a hand preflop once they've raised, they take it as some mark of weakness, so they're willing to call the reraise when way behind. They may fold to the flop bet, so the extra chips you got preflop is all you may get from them. AND...the bigger pot may convince them to continue with a marginal hand (like 2nd pair or some gut shot) when they're way behind.

Also, they will call and fold to a LOT of flops once you've shown the added aggression of the reraise and a continuation bet (regardless of if you've hit the flop). Remember your opponent misses the flop more than 3/4 of the time, so your reraise and flop bet will get him to dump a lot of hands allowing you to scoop unimproved and when possibly behingd to small pairs when mid/high cards come over his holding.

Also what do you do when you smoothcall and the flop misses you? This is a much tougher spot to figure out where you're at in the hand, making your correct play much more difficult to ascertain.

Overall, I think the raise increases the opportunities to make correct decisions and increases the chance you win the pot, which is the main goal.

Oh and if my opponent is aggressive I like the check. If not that aggressive I like betting out more.

-Scott