View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: How valuable would a $215 coach really be?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ive coached one player and they went on to do fairly well in both the 100s and 200s. It's not something I do anymore because its just not worth the time usually, I'd rather be playing myself. Also the best way to learn poker is not by getting some expert to teach you what to do in certain spots, but by learning how to think and adapt to certain situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. It might be good to pay a top player for liek 1 or 2 lessons to help teach you how to think. But to get constant and regular training seems like a bad idea to me. Anyone who is willing to do that for a cheap price is almost surely not qualified to do so. There are exceptions to this rule, but in general I wouldn't trust that anyone's true win rate is much higher than whatever they are charging for lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, teaching someone to play would get them about as far as showing them this site. If they are willing to listen to you and absorb, they could do their own research for free. Experience is everything, showing someone what to do in a certain situation without understanding and "knowing" exactly why, will be misapplied so much by the student that it will end up costing them.

A coach would get someone as far as "how to beat the 10s". All of the subtleties are best learned on your own.