View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 08:02 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Didi play this hand wrong? QQ UTG +1

Alright, so you're heads-up against a player who has about 3x your chip stack, and is one of the only players at the table who can bust you.

Your 5x the BB raise was a little high for my liking, I'd usually want some sort of action against my Queens and would likely to raise between 600-800 instead of 1K in that spot.

The flop looks favorable for you with the overpair. There are certainly draws. Let's look at the betting:

Pre-flop you raise to 1,000
BB calls 800
Pot is now 2,100

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Donk bets 800, pot now 2,900.

You push for 11,420. Your push was terrible, since you're likely only going to get called by hands that beat you. Plus, normally you wouldn't want to push out a weaker holding, you want to cause your opponent to make a mistake (such as drawing while not getting the appropriate odds)

While this is actually what happened, normally you'd want to re-raise to around the size of the pot or perhaps a little more. This defines your hand and lets the BB know you aren't messing around. If he pushes after your re-raise, then you have a decision to make.

With blinds at 100/200 and you starting with 12K in chips, you are well ahead of what an average stack is at this point, and you can wait for better spots to get all of your money in, especially against someone who can bust you with little risk.

While it's disgusting to see, many times donks like this acquire humungous chip leads early on because they suck out and get lucky. They usually have difficulty holding onto those chips as the mid-game winds down and the end-game hits. Tough beat, better variance next time.