View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Redefining Aggression - PokerAce Hud

yo dude,

I am very glad to hear someone is taking on this problem!

I like what you have done so far, although the issue with calling frequency may still be a problem in interpreting true meaning (see below...sorry this is a bit long and rambling but it is definately something i have been pondering for awhile).

First of all, I completely agree that the CR stats should be kept separate and measured by themselves (I would most definitely like to see them street by streeet.... those are going straight to the pop-up stats on my HUD).

When multiple stats are combined into one there will often be interactions involved, which as a result, can make the meaning difficult to interpret.

Which leads to the main problem I have with the current PT aggression statistics is that they do not account for the looseness-tightness of the player (which, with certain players, drastically affects how one should correctly interpret the meaning and can actually be misleading if not taken into account).

Outlier type players are the most problematic, such as very loose or very tight players who either call relatively often or little respectively, which seriously affects the outcome of the current aggression metric and the resulting inference that should be made.

Basically, the inferences that we make are that a very aggressive player's bet/raise action is not necessarily indicative of a strong holding wheras a very passive player's bet is much more indicative of a strong hand (keeping the looseness/tightness of the player out of the picture for now and lets say equal for all).

Perhaps if you were able to remove or at least account for frequency of call actions this would likely distill this metric into a much better measure of aggression itself (without the interaction of looseness-tightness to worry about).

Let me back up though, I am trying to work out exactly what we are after here so bear with me....

...It seems to me that with the original aggression stats we were trying to interpret the average strength of the hand that the player is likely to be playing/betting.

So the question becomes, is there any way to measure the relative strength of a hand directly and in-turn use this in relation to bet/raise frequency?

..…Again, the goal is trying to ascertain the relative strength of the hand a player is betting/raising with...

In keeping with this method might to CALCULATE THE MEAN reletive strength of the hands (compared to the current board of course) a player is BETTING out with, is RAISING with and finally CR with? Overall and for each street….

You would likely need a fair number of hands on a player for these calculate means to have any meaning.

We should be able to work out the meaning of the spectrum of reletive hand strength numbers and put a chart togehter tying the numbers together with hands (e.g., high card, bottom pair, pair, top pair, two pair, top two pair.....etc).

So what would it all mean?...We should be able to take the means for PlayerA and infer that he BETS with only Top Pair or better, RAISES with Trips or better....

Pokergrader's luck calculation is the only thing that comes to mind so far for measuring relative hand strength, as I seem to recall takes this into consideration...?

...Anyway, just a couple of new ideas. I hope at least some of it was clear. I may way off here as i have been camping all weekend and poker has been the farthest thing from my mind.

With the current formula you have developed, it would be nice to get a picture of what the different types of players score (i.e., LAA, LPP, TPP, TPA, LPA, very very loose and very very tight, etc..). if you have run these I would love to see them. Perhaps, this issue is moot with your new formula.

cheers and keep up the good work,
the Real Macoy

ps. still loving your HUD