View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 06:04 AM

Default What should I expect from my bankroll growth ?

I have been reading a fair bit here and see people talking about so many BB/hr.

It is a long story but I don't have a fortune to put into a bankroll at the moment, so I am playing 'nanolimits'.

I play the .05/.10 limit at Pacific.

I had initially won a couple of freerolls there and went from a 0 bankroll to a $113 bankroll by taking the $10 from the freerolls and playing some SNGs (and winning them).

In any case, I cashed out a big chunk to buy Super System, then played some SNGs out of my limit range... I had been playing the $1.50 and $3 SNGs but I tried a couple of the $10 ones and was suddenly playing scared - then I left the SNGs and went to the .25/.5 game and again was playing with scared $... I lost most of it 'experimenting' way outside my limit. At least I learned WHY I want 200BB in my bankroll before I play at a specific limit!

I have since switched to playing only the .05/.10c game and I am playing it to the best of my ability (which is still quite limited, as I had always played NL and had always specialized in tourneys, so this is a completely different game for me but I think I am doing well, which is where you come in).

I know I am learning a lot, but I am only gaining a tiny bit of experience, especially since most players at this limit are terrible. The problem with that is that they will call to the river often and suck me out (I am not complaining, I understand it all evens out in the end, and I should (will) come out on top because I am a better player).

I have read a lot of the threads here and I am learning a lot from them. I have read several books, although I have a long way to go there, as I plan on getting (and had planned on it before coming here!) most of the 2+2 books after reading all the reviews.

Annnnnnyway...

My bankroll is around $10 right now, which I think is just right for this limit, and I would like to see it higher, but I am not forcing it - I mean; I know I can't MAKE people make mistakes, I just have to be there to help them push their chips to me when they do, but that takes a while.

I am very patient, and I will keep working at it, but I was wondering if there is any way to quantify what I am doing without a hand history... I CAN say that I am not making any tremendous gains or taking any great losses...

During the course of a day, my bankroll will get healthy gains, and suffer hits, then gains again, and it is up and down - I understand (sort of, and just basically) that is what happens - swings go both ways - but what I am wondering is what people talk about over a length of time... How can I word this...

Because it is only $10, when my bankroll climbs to $11 (like it is right now), it doesn't seem like a huge gain, but if I had a $10,000 bankroll and it climbed by the same percentage, I would be happy (since that would be a $1000 climb...)

So I guess I am just wondering what to expect... Should I be happy if I come away from the table after 4 hours of play (at the .05/.10c table - and I only play one table) up only $1 ?

I mean, that does infer that I am on the right track - but I may come back and lose that same $1 tomorrow (playing correctly, getting sucked out, etc) - again I am not complaining, just wondering if anyone has any advice or opinions... I do normally wind up on the plus side - I have taken my profits and repeatedly put them into SNGs but I am moving away from those until my bankroll gets bigger as there is too much luck in those - can't control your seat/table, lousy players get lucky and win too often, etc

I think I am doing fairly well in limit games, all things considered, but my bankroll can go from $10 to $8.50 to $12 in one session...

Is that to be expected ? I think I know the answer - but what should I expect ? I obviously play well enough to get it to climb, but the downswings are usually caused by people sucking me out and I believe I am playing correctly - they are calling to the river with odds - I bet, they call, and it seems that it has just evened out - they get lucky often enough to make my bankroll fluctuate that much...

Should I not even bother considering this question? I am learning, not much though - I pretty much know what to do against these no mind players, although there are always holes to fill, leaks to stop - but I know you can't bluff a bad player, and fancy tricks don't work on most of these people, so at these limits, most of the good stuff doesn't work - which means, most of the time I have to wait for cards, although I am somewhat liberal (being mindful of position!) in my starting hand choices.

I think I am rambling here - I just want to know what to expect, and I wonder if anyone can really even answer that question for me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think, if I really play my game and don't mess around (which is hard to do consistently for hours on end when playing at that limit, especially since I am still learning and trying to switch gears often!) I think I can increase my bankroll by about $1 per day - so that sounds pretty good, right ?