View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: A Couple Interesting Points About Religion

[ QUOTE ]

"Well, the one most important thing about Christianity that no other religion has is Grace.

No where else do you have a religion that denies you can work or earn your way to heaven, but rather Heaven is a gift freely given and undeserved."

I guess Catholics are just basically Jews who can't stand giving up Christmas? Or does BluffThis have me confused?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way Catholics define grace is markedly different from the way Protestants (and I would say, the Bible) does.

Quoting an article from a Catholic apologist:

[ QUOTE ]

The bottom line: all salvation comes from the grace of Christ's Sacrifice and only from the grace of His Sacrifice. Salvation is a free gift -- a gift that is not "owed" to us, that God didn't have to offer us, and that we could never "earn" on our own -- that we accept by faith and works. Christ doesn't have to give us this gift of salvation; we don't "deserve" this gift, we can't "earn" it; but He, in His endless Love for us, offers it nonetheless. We have to believe this gift exists (have faith) and then open our hands to receive it (do works inspired by the grace given to us).

[/ QUOTE ] (Scott Hahn)
emphasis mine