View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: The MMMMMM \"race issue is DEAD\" challenge

[ QUOTE ]
MMMMMM said:

"Well, Cyrus, this isn't the 1950's. There is very little prejudice in America today against minorities, and what little there is, is quite possibly more than functionally offset by overwielding programs such as Affirmative Action.

All in all, the race card, and race issue ARE DEAD--except for those with axes to grind or those who remain ideologically mired in ancient (modern) history.
"

In the same thread, MMMMMM challenged the board to come up with an incident of modern-day racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Actually, I asked if the poster had PERSONALLY OBSERVED an incident of racism that had had a serious effect in the areas he mentioned. Later, I also opened the challenge to others, but "PERSONALLY OBSERVED" is key here--not something you have merely read about in the newspapers.

[ QUOTE ]
It appears to be somewhat of a moving target--as the thread progressed, the modifier "serious" was added.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. That qualifier was part of the original request, as reprinted here:

Re: Either way...
09/03/05 10:18 AM

ACPlayer: "It is existent, practiced daily in government and corporations and small business and personal interactions."

M: "I can't remember the last time I've seen its effects in any particular instance. And I mean for decades.

Can you? Can you cite an instance of racism you observed which it had some serious effect in the areas you mention
?"

[ QUOTE ]
In any event, I am aware of such incidents. Some of which I cannot write about, even anonymously, becuase of my professional responsibilities. But I offer this description from a recent court opinion:

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying you have PERSONALLY OBSERVED an incident of racism which had some serious effect in the areas ACPlayer mentioned? Because that is what I was asking (due to my impression that such incidents are rather rare).