View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Death of a Thousand Cuts-- Advice and Commentary requested

I'll take a stab at this...

Hand 1: Stack sizes? I usually fold Ax sooted preflop from EP, but once I do raise it, I make a c-bet on that non-threatening flop. Heads up on the flop, a c-bet is almost never wrong. Your opponent made a huge mistake minraising the turn, and you made him pay for it (kind of). If you read him for a nit, then a smaller bet is better; whatever he'll call. But I like your thinking that he might see a big bet as a bluff; too bad you made this play against Phil Hellmuth Jr.

Hand 2: Call me a puss, but I check/fold the flop. This is a slightly behind (he has flush draw + 2 overs)/way behind (he has an ace, or a higher pocket pair) situation. A bet isn't going to make him fold a flush draw, and 3-bet jamming might not either. Keep your big stack and find someone else to pick on.

Hand 3: If you're not going to make a continuation bet on this flop, don't bother raising ATo utg preflop. You're going to miss the flop 2/3rds of the time, and your opponent can't fold if you don't bet.

Hand 4: Results-oriented. 99% of the time you'll be up against a pair here, and you're getting insufficient odds to call off 40% of your stack (even getting 4:1, you need to be 20% to win; if you ratchet down the percentage of time you're against at least one overpair to something less, maybe it becomes correct). Would you have posted this if the board ended up AKKQQ?