Thread: Loosey Goosey?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Now, I'd like to know how Kurn came up with the idea of a bluff raise here. It would have been great.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bluff raise is to fold him if he's holding AK for a split or a hand like AA or KK or A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] that might fold when the Q pairs on the board - i.e. a better hand that thinks it just got ruined. The bluff need only work a very small percentage of the time with such a big pot. Here a bluff raise would just have resulted in a missed draw folding (well maybe he would have frustration called it I guess, but that's not why it's a good idea).

That your raising of this player's bb was back-to-back is very significant IMO - it certainly made a big difference to his play from the previous hand you cite. Regardless, it just goes to show how a paper fold can be over-ruled profitably with a good read *when the pot is large*. Without this read though - despite the result, I still think folding is probably the right play most of the time with raising being just slightly behind.

edit: Of course your "30 hands" and other things inferred what you were getting at throughout your post, but when I was analyzing this last night I took the provided info to mean the opposite - this was an opponent who *didn't* put up a fight against a steal or when he missed.