View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part II well.... im stupid

Look at David Sklansky's post. He wrote: "If you have an IQ above 130, know how to do probability problems, are not psychologically challenged, and you read all our books and this website, you have a better than 50% chance of being able to grind out at least $1000 at least a week."

About 3% of the population has an IQ of 130 or higher.

Less than half of the wannabes with that IQ have all the other criteria he listed.

The remaining 1-2 percent have only "better than a 50% chance" of making at least $1,000 per week, which is not a very exciting income. In fact, anyone with that IQ and those other attributes could probably make considerably more at many other occupations.

To answer your specific questions:

I don't play a lot of online poker, and I have never played four tables. I don't think my lack of direct experience is particularly relevant. Lots of men deliver babies, but no man has ever had one.

I have never said that a wannabe is "destined to bust out." I have just made the same point as David: The odds are against succeeding.

Mason's position is a more relevant criticism than yours. You might enjoy playing for a living more than working at some other occupation. I certainly believe that people should enjoy their work.

Regards,

Al