View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Problems with my friend- rehab and insanity (xpost oot)

I'm no medical doctor or pychologist, but I can't read this without saying SOMETHING.

If your friend has developed serious emotional problems (which it is clear he has), he needs help, NOT to be stuck in an empty apartment with a only a computer. I can see why his parents would want him to cut contact with supposed bad influences (like you -- to them you are just a druggie who did bad things with him), but to just leave him alone seems a little crazy on their part.

Who are these supposed counselors who gave this crappy advice? If he really is schizophrenic, any reputable doctor knows that treatment, not isolation, is the answer. The whole thing sounds very sad for him -- it sounds like his parents are getting bad advice. And they get an intervention of some sort, call the police, cut off contact? Sounds like some sort of fundamentalist "tough love" thing, which (from what I understand) often hurts more than it helps.

As for what you can do, I would keep IMing him, not cut off all contact. I might call his parents and tell them that he has contacted you, and he seems to be getting worse. They may get angry or not want to speak to you, but you should tell them that you really think he needs some help, not some misguided tough-love.

Another option is to talk to your parents -- tell them that you are extremely worried about your friend and would like some help. Again, your parents might be angry (blaming him for you being an evil druggie, etc) or want you to just forget about your friend (the bad influence), but they might also have some ideas.

Do you have a family doctor? (Probably not, if you're a 20-something man!) He or she might also have some advice. I would suggest a clergyperson, but there are lots of clergy who might agree with the tough love thing. But there are many clergymen who have some knowlege of mental illness (lots of people come to them for help) who might be able to intervene in some way.

It's a fine line: how to help a friend without being dragged into his problems. I commend you for trying to help, but if you can't, remember that you tried! Good luck.

Again, I am not a medical professional, but I am a resonably intelligent older person who has had friends and family with problems (who of us over 30 has not?). Talking to someone with some more experience or knowledge might ease your mind and help your friend.