View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Evacuees being turned away from Houston\'s Astrodome

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who should be leading this effort? Probably the governor, right? But we have the FEMA people, director of homeland security, the mayor, the president, etc. making statements. Presumably they are all making decisions. Or not making decisions, which actually seems to be the case. Who do you think should take over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've worked emergencies (7 forest fires and 1 oil spill). There is protocol. First responder is in charge... until someone comes along with higher status. So, yeah, right now it's the President. He's in charge and if you're mad about what's goiing on, it's our fuckhead president who's at fault.

They just keep saying they can't navigate because the phones are down and everything is in water. Well, people have been living in swamps and canals for thousands of years. Get a [censored] boat and figure it out.
And the phones? Hello??? short wave? CB? what the [censored] is going on?

Sorry this is so emotional. I'm mad as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked the Oakland Hills fire and some other big MCIs. They were all chaotic situations but at least there was a slight semblence of coordination. It's apparent that there is ZERO leadership ANYWHERE.

Not having a tent city situation set-up for the overflow of the Astrodome is beyond stupidity. Now Houston is going to get inundated by refugees who are desperate as hell. It's not Texas' responsibility to provide this it's FEMAs.

Not having the National Guard being either dropped or brought in via the Mississippi to help at the Convention Center in NO by Day 3 is inexcusable.

This is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. While people are literally dying 1 block away from the Mississippi River Bush is strumming a guitar and Condi Rice is taking in Sir Spam-A-Lot on Broadway.

We have dumped billions in to FEMA/Homeland Security since 9/11 and we we're assured everything was fine. Our country has let us down and hopefully all parties will see that the leadership must change.

I am at the point where I think that there is coordinated thinking that says let NOLA die in the streets so we do not have to think about the logistics of housing all the refugees.