View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Re: two questions about Slavery in the US

[ QUOTE ]
for over 400 years (i believe) the transatlantic slave trade carried on and carried millions upon millions of slaves to all parts of the world. to stop the US influx in order so we're not as economically stable or technologically advanced seems like a no brainer. we're talking MILLLIONS of lives. i dont need my 2100fp monitor that badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no – These numbers are fantasies. Europeans didn’t start importing African slaves until the late 1700’s/early 1800’s. Slavery in the US ended in the 1860’s and importation had virtually ceased by 1850. So African slaves were shipped to North America for around 50 years.

The average slave ship held 300-360 slaves. It took about 9 months to go from Europe to Africa to North America. To displace 1,000,000 people would take about 3,000 trips.

The other factor that is almost never mentioned is that a lot of tribal African chiefs exercised ( in a lot of cases initiated) the slave trade as a way to both get rid of tribal prisoners or trouble makers and as a means of obtaining European goods.