View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Technical question on bluffing in limit Hold\'em

My examples apply to all poker games when bluffing on the river. The central point is that your bluffing frequency is not solely dependent on the size of the pot, as your original question was asking. You also need to factor in how your opponent evaluates the probablity that you have a better hand than his.

You do illustrate another important point about bluffing in different poker variants. In hidden card games like 7 card stud + 5 card draw, it is often very easy to figure out what our opponent would think our chances of having the best hand. If it looks like I was drawing one card to the flush in 5-draw, then it's easy to figure out that my opponent thinks I had a 9/47 chance of making my hand, and thus can also easily figure out the optimal bluffing frequency. However, in shared-board games like Hold'em where the river card is face-up, your opponent can easily see if you hit that draw or not, so you have to pick other strong hands to represent for your bluffs. These are harder to evaluate (what are the chances that you were slowplaying a set the whole way? That you just spiked a 2nd pair?), so it's much harder to figure out what the optimal bluffing frequency is in these situations.