View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Cash Games: Limit Vs. No Limit

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason (other than someone's personal preference) why I think limit is "better" for a beginner would be that individual mistakes are not as costly in limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, the best reason to suggest limit to a beginner is that there are more good beginner books on limit than there are on NL.

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the "fundamentals of poker," I just don't see how limit teaches this better than no limit. If anything, no limit is more complicated and requires learning more fundamentals than limit since bet sizes must be taken into consideration and implied odds are much larger (and many people would argue that reading your opponents is much more important in no limit).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the extra complication in NL makes learning the fundamentals more important, but not easier. It stands to reason that a game with fewer variables will allow a beginner to focus more closely on the fundamentals.

[ QUOTE ]
While some arguments could be made about which variant is better suited for new players, IMHO as long as a new player knows the basics and risks of the form of poker they are playing, they should play what they like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If someone prefers one or the other, that's the one they should probably play. I'd suggest at least trying the other version after they're comfortable. They may find they enjoy it more than they thought.