View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Marginal holdings

[ QUOTE ]
Say 2459, suits irrelevant. Or, more powerfully, 234x. Can anyone tell me what the odds are of an Ace falling on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Penguin - Sure. 3 to 1 against.
(actually 13244 to 4052 against).

[ QUOTE ]
Is any A3 worth a call, or do you need things to go with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

(2) I try to think in terms of all four cards. Then whether I'll play a hand or not depends on what the cards are and how I'm interacting with my opponents.

I think A378-non-suited is the worst starting hand containing an ace plus a trey in a full game. Sometimes I'll play it and sometimes not.

I think A333-non-suited is the worst starting hand with an ace and a trey in heads-up competition, about a two to three underdog against random cards. (Heads-up against random cards, A378n becomes a slight favorite).

If you're a beginner, maybe a good rule to follow is to only play ace-three hands if the ace is suited to another card or if one of the other cards in the hand is an ace, a deuce, a four or a five.

[ QUOTE ]
It's only a powerful hand if a 2 falls,

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends, in my humble opinion, on the specific cards on the board, and on the other two cards in your hand.

If, for example, you hold A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],
3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and the flop is 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], then your hand is very powerful.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Two suited Aces or Kings.
Say A7s A9s. Or, less powerfully, A8s K5s, or K9s K6s.

Would you play any or all of these hands preflop, or should I just automuck them and save my money?

[/ QUOTE ]

A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] seems quite playable.

A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
also seems quite playable.

K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a step down from the first two hands in a full game. You'll only catch a king on the flop about one time out of eight. Much of hand value of 69KKd involves second-nut flushes, which can be tough to play. You have to decide for yourself if you want to get into that. In head-to-head competition, the hand is a slight (10-9) favorite against random cards.

Buzz