View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Calling 3-4x BB raises with position

This is a theory question, as I am trying to figure out this part of my game.

Last night, I have $27 dollars at a .10/.25 table on Stars. UTG has $34 dollars and raises to $1.

Villian I have very few stats on, a 29% VPIP in about 110 hands against him.

MP1 calls, and I call on the button with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Blinds fold.

Flop ($3.35): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, MP1 checks, I check.

Turn ($3.35): 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets $2, MP1 folds, I raise to $4.75, UTG reraises to $8, I reraise to $15, and he pushes, I call.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I take down a very nice large pot.

I've been doing this a decent amount lately, so I pull up my pokertracker to lookm at 10-8o on the button and out of 435 times seeing it on the button, I VPIP 201 times and it is a huge EV hand for me, making 3.5 BB/VPIP (this is before importing the session which included the hand in question).

I only raised with it once, so I'm assuming that I'm calling with it when there is a raise before I am to act.

So my question is this: Is this just a small sample size for which I am getting lucky? Do I need to only do this against specific opponents? It seems like people misplay AK, AQ and big pairs enough in this spot to make it +EV.

The villian in this hand obviously berated me for a good 15 minutes after the loss (with no merit, the check on the turn was pretty bad, but I see he was hoping one of us would be with a king).

It just made me wonder if this kind of positional call is standard, risky, and overall + or - EV.

Comments?

Brad