View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Don\'t bother emailing ESPN.

couldn't disagree with you more here when you say:

"We play a game that absolutely sucks on television and it is going to take much more than a couple of emails fired from 2+2 to change it."

If it really "sucked on television" we wouldn't have the fantastic poker boom we have going on right now. The fact that it IS a great sport to watch if done properly is what got it so popular with the players and non players alike. But the present WSOP one hour shows is a big disgrace to the sport and a large number of players and non players alike, are not watching it now. I do in home computer servicing full time and while waiting for the computer to run diagnostic programs I have lots of time to talk poker to my customers and I found virtually everyone mesmorized by the great new poker on tv with two hour, great personal interest stories, more non all in hands shown, etc, etc, etc, etc. we had before. From the almost don't care at all about poker to the full fledged serious player, I found all these people with great liking of watching these WSOP coverage before. Again, that is what got our sport so popular with the masses and is getting all the new poker rooms open in Vegas. But now I get the opposite response from the same range of poker fans, the coverage so far of the 2005 WSOP is not entertaining to watch. Many who wouldn't miss a show last year, refuses to even turn it on this year. And again I find this universal with all different degree of interest in poker. They watched the first couple nights this year, then tuned out. Even the casually interested fan knows poker is far more than just going all in before the flop and getting lucky or unlucky to win the pot. They DO NOT only want to see only these hands. They do want to see the skill of after flop play too!!!! I get to work with hundreds of people from all walks of life, all different financial means, all different degrees of interest in poker, etc. etc. and I make it a point to talk poker with them sometime during my service calls, and I find it pretty much universal what I state above. So I can't help but disagree with your post more. The masses do not want to see only all in hands, the cards in the hole cam is great for the tv show giving us great statistics on percentage of each player chances to win each hand right on the screen making it much more interesting for those that do not fully understand the dynamics of the game, people are not watching like they were with better coverage before this only "all in" 9 players out in one hour madness.