Thread: NL Cash Games
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: NL Cash Games

[ QUOTE ]
Do the one card draw odds of hitting a flush change in NL?

If you are 5-1 to hit your draw and the pot is offering you 4-1 odds, is it correct to call in NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in most cases as long as you have implied odds. In the donkfest that is $25 and $50 NL, you will get your POT sized river bet called 75% of the time. In limit, you are correct to fold because at best you will get one more BB called. In NL, you can bet up to your stack and usually get a willing donor.

Limit and NL are two different games. I am very successful at $100NL and play 1/bb when I play limit. Limit requires different skills (that I obviously have not acquired [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and is probably a superior game at the higher levels (this from a NL loyalist!) For instance, pot building is important, but you go about it differently in NL depending upon the situation.

I will offer this observation, in limit you play your cards and make your decisions based upon odds. You really don't have to read your opponent (for the most part). In NL, you also do this, but you throw how your opponent plays into the mix.

To the OP, read the Theory of Poker to get a strong base. The Lee Jones book is good (I use a variation of his starting hands for NL) in explaining how to play. Doyle, no limit section in Super System will lose you money in the micros because his style is to be aggressive and bully (which is IMPOSSIBLE in the Micros). I really haven't read a good NL starter book.