Thread: Fear of success
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Fear of success

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, fear of success is a very real situation - but it is VERY closely related to the fear of failure.

For many people, success means pressure - if they do well or win at poker or get a great job, then immediately, it can create anxiety - what if I lose this job? What if I lose all my winnings? etc.

So what these people will do is they will protect themselves from those potential failures by sabotaging their chances to be successful. That way, they can stay in the same situation they are in - one that is likely very comfortable for them, even if they are miserable - because at least this is misery that they understand and know they can deal with.

Thus, fear of success is closely linked to fear of failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nicely put. I was about to post about a similar subject. I have been running hot for the past month. Basically winning at a rate that I haven't been able to sustain for very long.

But the problem/issue is this, I have started to play short sessions and become more results oriented. Meaning if I win quickly, I'll stop. If my bb/100 is above (more likely greatly above as to make of for negative sessions) a set line, I'll quit. The game may be juicy and players have deep pockets, but I'll "hit and run". I get a win. Increase my BB/100. Feel good, but....I don't feel that I'm improving or doing all I could. I should play more hours, but I fear losing that win. Lowering my BB/100, etc.

Fear of success is, in my mind, fear of living up to my potential and succeeding at the level I believe that I could. By getting the hit and runs, I don't put myself in too much jeopardy. On the flip side, I'll play longer hours to get back to even. Luckily, I have been able to recently.

Don't know exactly where this is going. I'm just trying to learn how to "deal with success" without screwing it up and to keep improving. I've been through the "I'm better than them", "how could you call that bet, do you know who I am", "my name is Phil Hellmuth" stages, etc that I've avoided that particular fear of success. It's the fear that I'm going to screw up my hot streak that I don't take advantage of the opportunities in front of me....