Thread: Fear of success
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Fear of success

There is truly no good excuse for fearing success. This is someting I have thought about alot, because a good portion of my friends are... let's say that at least spiritually, I am considered the richest. It is strange to discover that this really has no standing with them, probably because they already know other successful people who have far more money than I do.

I have been in countless discussions about this topic. If you don't believe me, here is a list of professions (if you can call them that) that you will find myriad people: factory worker, backround extra, paid audience worker, has- been actor, short- order line cook, or go down to your local homeless shelter, ask any drug- free person who has been on the street for years, and you will hear so many excuses of why they don't go to the next level, that you are apt to blowing your brains out.

The first problem is that all of these people have been dejected to their station in life, and none of them are going to advance. One common thought is "what's next," and "my parents."

I personally believe that there is no good excuse for poverty. Most people are never going to change their fundamentals, and ghetto's will always exist. The mind is a hard thing to change. Think of all the people who are content to do the same thing day in and day out, or the foury- five year old OGs.

Poker success and success in general poses a problem because it goes against the paradigms of our society and, in most cases, our upbringing. We are all taught to "play it safe," and "follow the rules." These are like saying "fit or fold." or "let the dealer bust." Successful people break the rules. They don't get married right away, they drop out of college (Bill Gates) they never find a "real" job, or refuse to stay at one.

We all know that real- estate agents, lawyers, finance brokers, and car sales men can all make a large chunk of money. How many of these professions are considered "scuzzy". We grow up listening to "you can never do that" or "that's a one in a million long shot" or "stop dreaming." If these are the words coming from the ones we love, we tend to believe them, and many of us would hate to dissappoint the ones we love.

I am not saying that any of the things I am writing are set in stone, or that these are good excuses, because there really is no good excuse for anything in life. The poster asked why this mindset exists, and this is where all of those demons must come from.

If this all sounds to far- fetched, then tell me why people seldomly move up in the econimic ladders. i know that I am going to here "oh yeah, I know lots of people," I doubt that you know more than five, compare that to the millions that are still poor. And I know some of you will say such and such came from such and such poor country, but never asked how poor or rich their family was, international plane tickets aren't free.