View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Analyzing flop texture (Let\'s look at an example from HOH)

Going over HOH again, and I started reading Part 6, Betting After the Flop. The first section is called Texture of the Flop, and it was the very first hand that got me thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
You're on the button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP makes a modest raise, a player calls between you, and you elect to call.

The flops are
1) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ignoring the third flop since it's shitty for your hand.

Anyway, the first part of his analysis makes sense to me. Flop 1 is a good flop, flop 2 is a decent flop.

What I didn't really agree with is how he said to play them...he said you should be very aggressive on the first flop, and a lot more careful on the second one.

I like the first flop. It's really easy to play for me. But I wouldn't be really aggressive with it...I'd put in a bet, and if someone makes a substantial raise I dump it. He's either got an overpair, AQ, may be overplaying AK or a smaller pair. If he puts in a raise I'm probably beat, so I let it go.

Flop 2 should be played more aggressively than Flop 1 in my opinion. With a straight draw and flush draw out there, people are going to give lots of action with weaker hands. Many low limit players will get very aggressive with just a draw. So while it's tougher to play, I think you can be more aggressive because you'll get action from a lot of worse hands.

That last sentence is the point of all this, I guess. I think it's probably better to be more aggressive on flops with decent texture than it is to on flops with great texture, if you have a marginal holding. If I had AQ on the first flop I'm going crazy with it. But in this case, where you likely get significant action only from a better hand, you'd want to be more passive. And then on the second flop, with that marginal holding, you'd be aggressive because you'll get weak hands to come along.

Thoughts?