View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Is this collusion?

One of my first lessons in poker was to not slowplay small edges in big pots. Reputation, at work and elsewhere, is everything and must be safeguarded accordingly.

That your boss confronted you on his turf, at work and in the morning, screams weakness (as if carping over a $10 home game loss doesn't). Circumstances require you to respond with stength and force him to back down.

You: "Say, we did run pretty good last night. How much did you guys lose to us?"

Chat facts for a while, agree on amounts. Boss should welcome the shift to familiar ground, and be disarmed by lack of denials.

You: "I've played in games before where I felt cheated. The worst thing about it is feeling like you'll never get the chance to get even. I want a chance to prove to you that you lost fairly.

"Let's have another game. You supply the venue, decks, and a neutral dealer. Bring as many observers as you like, as many players and as much money.

"I'll bring at least $X--triple your losses--and play until it's gone or you call it off. Is that fair?"