View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Your favourite books (not only poker)

[ QUOTE ]

-computer programming

[/ QUOTE ]

"Code" (Microsoft Press, forget the author's name) is an excellent introduction

"Hackers" by Steven Levy is a must read if you're at all interested in the history, or just for profiles of some pretty bad-ass guys. (There's a book called "Out of their minds" in the same vein, but I think the only way you can get it is used on amazon)

And if you have done some programming and want to get much better at it, Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming" series is an absolute must.

[ QUOTE ]
-stockmarket, also currency market (forex etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

"One up on Wall Street" by Peter Lynch
"A Mathematician Plays the Stock Market" by John Allen Paulos
"Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Taleb

[ QUOTE ]
-psychology (also sociology)

[/ QUOTE ]

"Phantoms in the Brain" by VS Ramachandran (quite possibly the single greatest book I've ever read; if you for whatever reason decide to pick one book from this list to read, I'd make it this one).
"A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness" by VS Ramachandran
"The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" by Oliver Sacks
'How We Know What Isn't So" by Thomas Gilovich

[ QUOTE ]
-mathematic

[/ QUOTE ]

"Innumeracy" and "Beyond Numeracy" by John Allen Paulos are great books esp. if you want a readable introduction to a broad range of advanced mathematical concepts
"The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz (good book, but more of a textbook)

pretty much anything by W.W. Sawyer

[ QUOTE ]
-philosophy

[/ QUOTE ]

"The Stoic Art of Living" by Tom Morris
"If Aristotle Ran General Motors" by Tom Morris
"The Tao Te Ching" by Lao Tzu (my personal favorite translation is by Stephen Mitchell)
"The History of Western Philosophy" by Bertrand Russell
"The Passions" by Robert C. Solomon (if you've ever seen the movie "waking life", you might remember him as the professor giving the miniature lecture on existentialism at the beginning)

Those are some books that I've really enjoyed over the years; perhaps you will enjoy them as well.