View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: The virtues of Omaha/8

[ QUOTE ]
I've only played that game in freeroll tourneys but it seemed that it was kind of complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first the low rules will seem complicated. Once you understand them they will make sense. Even better, those same rules for low carry over into Stud/8 as well - if you ever want to make the move to that.

What is really complicated is making sure you understand what a good starting hand looks like and what a bad starting hand looks like. A Hold'em player will be blindsided by some hands that look awesome but are pretty terrible.

Also, being able to only use two in your hand and three on the board will throw off some players.

[ QUOTE ]

How much time do you invest in a different game? Are you worried that it will stunt your learning curve for moving up in Hold'Em (or would stunt a newer player's?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that if I didn't play any Hold'em for a week or so and then came back, I'd find I had to relearn some things. But I switch up my game a lot anyway in Hold'em - sometimes I play tournaments a lot, sometimes NL a lot, etc. - that I don't usually have too much time getting back in the saddle.

Will it stunt your learning in HE? It certainly may. One thing, though, that Omaha/8 really will drive home is how important it is to understand pot equity at all times. In Omaha, it's often clear what your minimum equity is (say if you're holding only the low in a six-way pot), so you really start thinking in those term.

[ QUOTE ]

In the first poker book I read it said something like "The crazy the rules the more advantage an expert has".

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is true, yes. The more grounded your knowledge of poker concepts is, the more advantage you will have in a "crazy" game.

[ QUOTE ]

(BTW, I used to work at the Trump in Gary. Hated it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you a dealer there? I can definitely see that it would not be a great place to work. Of all the staff I've interacted with, the poker staff seems to be the happiest by far though.

Regards,

T