View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: I am an awful player, plz berate me

[ QUOTE ]
You can 3bet if you want, but I wouldnt advise it.

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is good and it would rule if you can get the limpers to dump there hands and provide some dead money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the a huge pipe dream. Realistically at 2/4, you can expect every limper to cold call 2 coming back. Your hand may have a VERY slight equity edge preflop, and if you are raising this is why. You certainly arent raising in hopes that anyone will fold preflop. As is, the flop was very ugly, and SOMEONE hit a piece of it. If you bet the flop, you are simply hoping for free turn + river to spike your set; you are almost never ahead on this flop.

nh

jvs

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right that we won't encourage all that many folds, but if that is the case it is often because our opponents are way to loose and will be calling with inferior hands.

A three-bet has a ton of good things about it, and it's not entirely necessary to know which one upon which we are capitalizing at the time. If we raise and get cold-calls from weak hands, cool. Our raise if for value. If we encourage some folds, we increase our overlay by creating dead money. Even if we get two cold-calls from hands that merit being in the hand, we are never in that bad shape in a four-way field even if we're up against overpairs. The only really horrible situation is when we manage to isolate against a bigger pair, but we are in position, have set outs, and should be able to make good enough decisions post-flop that we won't get killed.

So, basically, a three-bet here can never be that bad and can often be quite good. So let's try it.