View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Cluster Headaches

okay I feel bad about my previous advice. If she's legitimately ill and not just a drama queen then I'm sorry. I went on google to look up cluster headaches and this is the first article I read and I found it kind of curious. Now if she doesn't drink at all then I guess I apologize for the second time.

[ QUOTE ]
Sensitivity to alcohol during a cluster bout occurs in at least half the patients, and cases when the bout remits (Friedman and Mikropoulos, 1958); this alternating, on-off vulnerability is pathognomonic of the cluster headache syndrome. Patients who are sensitive to alcohol note that attacks are triggered within 5 to 45 minutes after the ingestion of modest amounts of alcohol: usually less than a single cocktail or glass of wine. The vast majority have noted that their sensitivity is less than total: alcohol triggers attacks in 70 to 80 percent of exposures. This factor, together with many patients' misinterpretations regarding inquiries into their drinking habits, may account for the low incidence of alcohol sensitivity in several reported series (Sutherland and Eadie, 1972; Symonds, 1956).

[/ QUOTE ]

cluster headaches article