View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Bad/stupid/improbable scenes of other wise good movies

Yes, this sort of sh*t bugs the hell out of me.

I thought Magnolia was a great, GREAT movie.

But Goddamnit, no matter how much I want to, I cannot accept the frogs at the end. It's actually genuinely annoying to me, especially since I thought every other second of that movie was great. I don't like anything about the frogs--the plot significance, the visual, and particularly the point Anderson was making.

Here's another: Wild At Heart, the entire Wizard of Oz theme. Blecch. Annoying. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the movie.

Uuuhh, what about Shakes The Clown, when they totally ruined an otherwise brilliant movie by getting all serious at the end, when Shakes is having DT's and ends up in AA? Please. Totally inconsistent with the rest of the movie.

Uuummmm...Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, when, at the end, George Segal's character realizes there is no son, and starts saying "Oh my God, I think I understand this" over and over again, while Richard Burton does some last rites in Latin while Sandy Dennis is crying and says "Amen."

Arg. Go back to the part where the picture has a "quietly noisy relaxed intensity" or where George Segal is preparing to "plow pertinent wives," but leave all of the uber-maudlin stuff for the stage, kids.

Another, another...hmmm...ok, here's a small one:

In Goodfellas, after Jimmy tells them all not to buy anything at all whatsoever with the loot from the Lufthansa job, a couple of guys get their ears pinned back in the club for buying a car and a fur coat. Henry is right there. Jump-cut to Henry coming through his front door with a huge white Christmas tree, saying "I got the most expensive one they had!"

What was the point of that? First of all, clearly, this could not be seen as a transgression of Jimmy's rule. Secondly, what the hell does Karen care about a f*cking Christmas tree? She's a Jew. Whatever. Ultimately, my point is that sequence never made any sense to me, to be honest.

I got a million of 'em, but there's a couple.