View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Wow. Just . . . WOW. (Sorry, LC)

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe you were cracking some big hands that you didn't have any business playing against.. e.g., someone has aces and you pair your doorcard with deuces. I'll assume you're smart enough to realize that short run swings like this usually mean a player is playing too loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

p. 68 of 7CSFAP:

"As already mentioned, you must take into account whether your hand has the potential to improve enough that it would be a mistake for your opponent to pay off all the way. Here's an example. Suppose you start with:

5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

If you catch a nine, your opponent probably is correct to call all thw way with just one pair because you are holding a hand that can easily be beaten. Thus, this hand is barely worth a call, even for a bring-in against typical opposition. However, against players who will pay you off all the way if you make open fives, then it becomes worthwhile to call."

That said, I didn't even play anything as weak as 595r. I did, coincidentally, win when I got trip deuces on 4th street, but as I was the bring-in I can't exactly be blamed for seeing 4th. (I don't even think I had to call a complete bet on 3rd.) And obviously, there they have much less reason to suspect I have anything . . . but there were at least two or three other cases where I should have been in the hand -- raised or reraised them on 3rd, in fact, before I foolishly realized that it's impossible to get people headsup on 3rd -- and then paired my doorcard and had them call me down all the way. They didn't even have two pair.