View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Am I playing poorly? I think I am!

[ QUOTE ]

Let me start by saying I'm new to poker, so keep your flames to yourslef. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually a little hurt. There are almost no flames in the Beginner's Forum. The only flames we've had are when someone spams or trolls.

Anyway...

I'll snip the hand out of my reply because you played it fine. You got your money in with the best of it and lost to a full house - I assume.

[ QUOTE ]

Reason I'm asking if I played this wrong is because i've lost 200 BB over 3 days.

I know I play poorly, but even the worst player gets lucky once in a while. Is this a downswing? Is downswings when NOTHING works? No matter how hard you try?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much correct, yes. There are times when you just lose, no matter how big a favorite you are. You zig when you should have zagged, and vice versa. It's painful, but everyone will go through it at many points in their playing career. 200BBs is painful, no doubt.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm really confused weather I should play poker at all. I eather suck so bad I'll never get good at it, or I'm the unluckiest guy in the world

Was the last month just beginners luck? Is this how bad I really am?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can stand the frustration, then keep playing and keep studying. Is this really how bad you are? No, probably not. It's certainly partially related to inexperience, but there's going to be a good amount of bad luck in there too.

Are you the unluckiest guy in the world? No, I can say with certainty that you are not. You're still breathing, so you have that going for you. Lots of people got more unlucky lately. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My point is that you, me and every other poker player will have these swings. We do. There was a recent post by bholder on this forum that outlines his experience. Read that for some perspective and encouragement.

Now, keep reading and plugging away.

Good luck,

T