View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: When do house rules override fairness?

[ QUOTE ]

The host is a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... the argument can go both ways, easily. The rule is (should be everywhere, IMO) cards speak, but this only applies to tabled cards. If there's a straight on the board and player A says I have a straight and flips his cards up, and player B mucks his hand, obviously he loses.

If he flips his hand up onto the table and says nothing, his share of the pot is rightfully his. (There was an article about David Negreneau in card player last year about this topic, if it's ethical or not, it's a good read)

Anyway, in a home game my opinion is that the dealer doesn't have the power or responsibility as a normal dealer since usually house rules prevail. As such, you shouldn't award the pot to the other player with a full house, nobody should say anything during the hand. In a friendly home game though, I think the poor guy should get a break and given the pot. Especially since he tabled his hand. On the point about players speaking, in the 2004 WSOP Omaha event, a player thought he had a straight and ended up losing the pot with nothing, and was very confused, of course nobody said anything.

Ok this post is becoming a rant and going off topic quick, I'll end with this...

JMB

Cards should speak unless the hand is mucked; Also