View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 08:57 PM

Default When do house rules override fairness?

I went to a card game the other night NLHE tourney style. Nothing major small buy in with 9 players. Now the tourney went to heads up i went out 3rd and offered to deal during the heads up. so we have the host up against a new comer to poker and weekly tourney. new guy has the host covered. the new guy hold pair of threes and the host two hearts. board comes 3h Kh 6s 6d 4h on the river the host goes allin and the new guy calls and states three of a kind 3's and the host reached for the pot. i stop him and say a full house beats a flush. new guy didnt realize he had a full house. host states my house rule says you must declare you hand correctly to win the pot. i stated told him as the dealer i declared the hand as full house and the new guy as the winner. host was upset and ended poker night at that time. this declaring rule was never stated prior to the game nor had it ever really been an issue. I have never heard that mis-declaring you hand meant you lost. if you have the best hand you have the best hand. any comments?