View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Defense against aggro LAG who limp-calls + bets flop

How do you guys defend against very aggressive LAGs who often limp-call, and then come out betting about half-to-75% of pot whenever they hit something (a draw, any pair to an xy-hand etc), or just believe that you missed your AK/AQ?

I know a lose dude who will limp-call and bet any flop not including an Ace, in addition to the times when he gets any piece of the flop. He only bets half-to-75% of pot. He claims he is making a nice profit doing this with all small-med pps, suited connectors and Axs, since there is no good defense.

That got me thinking about the situation.

Clearly, he is hitting on the missed AK/AQ opening hands with these steals. My best estimate is that when this occurs, he’ll be weak at least 85% of the time (with low pairs facing overcards, or just nothing).

Only counter I’ve come up with is to play back with a mini-raise on any value (obviously) such as decent pps or AK/AQ which hit the K/Q or a good draw.
And to also mini-reraise with all the missed opening hands.

Rationale:
Suppose bet preflop is R1; then pot is 2*R1 + blinds.
Flop-bet: 75% = 1.5R1.
MiniReraise = 3R1
Also, miniraise puts some pressure on without escalating the pot out of control with a marginal holding.

If the dude folds the weak 85%, and calls/pushes with the strong 15% and you fold - you’ll be +Ev on the missed AK/AQ as well.

Any thoughts on the above?
Agree? If disagree - please suggest better defense!

Cheers,
jaxz